Thursday, March 5, 2009

Astounded!!

Well…I was going to write about a book I’m reading (one of several—four I think), but it seems that I will change tack (once again) to something completely different. Sometimes all it takes is a conversation, a phone call at an opportune time. Sometimes it’s a nudge, at other times it’s akin to a shove. This was decidedly a push.

It started with a conversation on the phone. It didn’t end there though. I was catching up with a friend from World of Warcraft. Yes, I even have friends on WoW! Sure, it’s “just” a game, and I can spend multiple hours of a day playing it, but the friends I’ve made are just as concerned and thoughtful. It really is somewhat nice to slip away into a different world every occasionally.

We were chatting about my stolen truck (still no word…yet), and it occurred to me that I used the same word multiple times and that struck me as a bit strange. Nevertheless, I couldn’t really come up with a different word to describe the feelings that I was feeling at the time. I was [still am] simply astounded that my family and my friends were concerned about me. Little old me. My soap opera life. That they wanted to know what was going on with me. To provide offerings of help in my time(s) of need. That they were concerned and took the time to say so. That they meant it. That they truly care about me, love me. Unexpected. Maybe not.

I felt bad, because I thought that my family and my friends would be offended by such a thought as me being astounded by such things. I didn’t know what to think next because I thought that I wasn’t astounded by it all, precisely for the fact that they are my family and my friends, and such things as kindness and love and caring and concern and friendship are common things for the companions that I keep. I’m beginning to think that such things aren’t as common elsewhere. I hope not.

I was then humbled by my astonishment that such a thing was truly possible. How is such a thing possible? Moreover, if such a thing is possible, why do I see a shortage of it everywhere else? [Thus ends the socio-political commentary that could happen—would go on for weeks or months on end—with nothing getting accomplished—before it even starts. Maybe another day, another blog.]

I was warned by my parents, my grandparents, my God and my other authoritative figures in my life (including the Bible) that what you put into something, you get back ten-fold. Good or bad. I honestly believe (and several of you have confirmed this fact of life for me) that is precisely what is occurring. I would disagree and I might even throw a little tantrum if I could explain it any other way. I can’t. I can’t measure the value of friends or friendship. They just are and they exist. Simple. It isn’t that simple.

I don’t really know how to explain what I’m thinking right now because it is so extraordinary as to be ordinary. As plain as the nose on my face. I am not an extraordinary person. I am an average Joe. I grew up in a pretty normal household, went to public schools, went to church, got a job…ok, ok…I don’t have a wife yet…or kids…but I surely don’t think that’s truly any different than anyone else I know.

I learned to treat others with respect, follow the Golden Rule, don’t do bad things, and help those less fortunate than I. Simple things. I am, once again, astounded that a simple person as I, doing simple things, can truly have such family and friends as these. I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. If I did, then maybe I should be a little bit scared.

Through it all, I realize that I am blessed. I’ve realized it many times. I try to express my gratitude to my friends and my family for what they mean to me and I fail every time. I’ve failed again. There are no words that can describe it. I’ll keep trying.

I truly do not feel worthy. I remain humbled.

God Bless you all!

1 comment:

  1. Mikey, you are such an admirable person. You have character, and are true. What you see is what you get, and that is an amazing attribute. You would give the shirt off your back to help your fellow man. These are amazing qualities that people look for in a friend. That is why everyone cares. When you found me on Fbook, I felt like I fell into a pot o' gold. You are a great person and I am so glad I know you.

    Cheer up Camper. You are worthy.

    ReplyDelete